Chaging at 7 kW - cooling goes on

• I have noticed that when charging at 7kW, the battery cooling comes on, Is this detrimental to the battery life? :?: However, recently during the hot weather, the cooling system comes on even when charging from the 3.5kW charger for an hour, but only for 1 to 2 minutes. Is it better to constantly charge from 20% to 80%, or do it in one-hour sessions every 4 hours! to prolong battery life!

• Battery life should be fine, even with the extra cooling. The battery in the 7 kW smart cars is the same as the on in 22 kW cars. So it can litteraly hanldy even 3x the current. The battery can handle a battery temperature of up to 55 °C, if it axeeds that, the battery os going to slow down charging.

However, recently during the hot weather, the cooling system comes on even when charging from the 3.5kW charger for an hour, but only for 1 to 2 minutes.

Is it actually the battery or does the noise come from the back of the smart? If it's the back from the smart, that's the air cooling of the motor. Mine does that as well, at the current temperatueres.

Is it better to constantly charge from 20% to 80%, or do it in one-hour sessions every 4 hours! to prolong battery life!

Short version:

No, it's not

Longer version:

The smart ED4 does a good job at balancing and cooling even if you're driving trough the whole country, charging 22 kW nonestop.

But still, I reccomend to simply use the smart car as you need it to. The battery is totally fine with it. The battery is never actually at 100 %, when it shows 100 %. That's also why you can't compare it to a Tesla, who reccomends to not charge to 100 % all the time. Because a Tesla is actually at 100 %, when it says 100 %.

Furthermore, the smart ED4 won't charge to 100 % (now we're talking about the value you'll actually see on the dash), if it decide you did that now to often or if the air temperature from your area is too high. You can't manually limit the battery to, for example, 90 %. But if it would have actually been good, the smart car would do so by itselfe.

Here's also two questions from my FAQ, I wrote about the topic:

smart fortwo Coupé 451er ED 3,7kW-Lader, 05/2013; > 250.000km (bei 250.000 km 22 kW nachgerüstet)

smart fortwo Coupé 453er EQ 22kW-Lader, 05/2018 - 05/2021; 109.000km

smart fortwo Cabrio 453er EQ 22kW-Lader, EZ 04/2021; > 15.000 km

"Aus Gaspedal wird Spaßpedal"

- Smart

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!