Removing rear bumper panel

• I had a minor fender bender the other day. I was in bumper to bumper traffic going no more than about 5 mph when the driver behind me hit me in the rear and pushed me into the car in front of me. There were no injuries and the damage looks to be very minor in all three cars. My 451 has a scrape mark and a couple of dimples, probably from the car's license plate that hit me. I looked closely for other damage around and under the car and saw none. However, in order to make things right, I may need to replace the rear bumper panel if it is even available. Do any of you have a good link to doing that?

Thanks.

Len

2014 EV Coupe

2014 EV Cabriolet

2015 EV Coupe - this is the one with the damage

• I've uploaded you the official Daimler instructions. I only have the German ones.

So here's a rough translation of it:

1 rear apron

2 cover

3 CBS stern

4 bracket

5 holders

6 spreading clip

7 latching

8 aperture

9 cladding

Step 1:

Unclip the cover (2) on the left and right of the rear apron (1) and unscrew the screws underneath

Step 2:

Remove the spreading clips (6) on the left and right of the rear apron (1)

Step 3:

Detach the rear apron (1) from the brackets (4)

Step 4:

Release latches (7) on the rear apron (1)

Step 5:

Unhook the holder (5) of the rear apron (1) from the CBS rear (3) and remove the rear apron (1)

Step 6:

Unclip the cover (8) and remove it

Step 7:

Unclip and remove trim (9)

Step 8:

Install in reverse order

• Thank you VERY much for this info. I want to make sure we are talking about the same part. As you can see in my third photo, i.e. the piece with the scrape mark and dimples on it, that's the piece that may need to be replaced. Looks like your instructions are about removing the lower valence piece. Maybe that needs to come off before removing the piece I'm talking about?

My initial search for the part may indicate that it is not available. I need part number A451 647 00 01 CE6L, called a rear-end center section of the rear body panel. That part number did not come up, but it looks like Mercedes now sells a generic panel that needs to be painted. The original panel is molded plastic with the color all the way through.

Thanks once again for your help and for this new forum.

Len

Len

2014 EV Coupe 22,000 miles

2014 EV Cabriolet 23,000 miles

2015 EV Coupe 21,000 miles

• Ohh crap, yes you're right. What I found is only about the lower part of it. :/

Let me check, if I've got something for the whole assembly as well.

smart fortwo Coupé 451er ED 3,7kW-Lader, 05/2013; > 260.000km (bei 250.000 km 22 kW nachgerüstet)

smart fortwo Coupé 453er EQ 22kW-Lader, 05/2018 - 05/2021; 109.000km

smart fortwo Cabrio 453er EQ 22kW-Lader, EZ 04/2021; > 30.000 km

"Aus Gaspedal wird Spaßpedal"

- Smart

• Okay, here we go. It's again German, please use google translate to translate the individual steps. Should do a good job and save myself a bit of time.

I assume, you don't need to worry about part (9), as they are the mounting points for the optional bicycle carrier.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!